Wednesday 17 August 2011

WICCAN SHOP OWNER DRIVEN OUT OF BUSINESS AFTER BEING ACCUSED OF WITCHCRAFT

Here is a story that parallel`s the mass hysteria of the 17th century against mostly women that were falsely accused of being a witch.

Sarah Murphy is a Wiccan and sold Pagan and Wiccan goods from her shop in Crewe, Cheshire.
She was attacked by extremists,  and staff were struck by bible wielding  religious fanatics, whilst whispers and rumours were circulated that she practised the `black arts`.

 Earlier this year I made a video about a man called, `Frenchy`, who was attacked at the turn of the last century for being a witch and later died, and commenter's  all breathed a sigh of relief that we live in more enlightened times - until this news story.


Increasingly we seem to be heading back to a life more akin to Mediaevalism rather than a new enlightenment of understanding. A worrying trend.. 

A link to the `Frenchy` video - `The Last Witch Trial`  follows this news item.


THE owner of a spiritualist Wiccan shop who says she was forced out of business because of her beliefs is hoping for a warmer welcome in “open-minded” Wirral.
Sarah Murphy opened Lunacy at Sarah’s with two business partners in Crewe in 2006, selling Pagan and Wiccan products and offering tarot card reading.
But she says a campaign of intimidation was directed at them, including false rumours about black magic, Bibles being thrown at staff and protestors barricading the doors to stop customers entering.
The shop closed in 2008 and Sarah concentrated on her ghost-hunting business.
She was persuaded to return to retail after moving to Wallasey to live with her partner Melanie Carlile, who she met through the ghost hunts.
Sarah, 40, who has been Wiccan since she was 14, said: “People automatically assume witchcraft and paganism is satanism or black magic.
“I am a member of a coven, I cast spells for myself and I cast spells for others, but I am not a devil worshipper and I am not a bad person.
“It’s a very nature-based religion and one of the rules is you don’t harm anyone or anything.
“I don’t go around at night on a broomstick!”
Sarah and Melanie’s new venture, Hedgewitch Hollow, will open later this month at Birkenhead Market.
It will sell items like crystals, pendulums, ornaments and ritual supplies and offer tarot card readings.
Sarah said: “I’d been toying with the idea of starting a new business. I’ve been a bit unsure because of what happened last time but my partner has encouraged me to try it.
“Cheshire is quite well-known for its paganism but people here seem much more approachable and open-minded.
“I’m nervous but it will be good to get back to normal.”
Danny Doyle, marketing director at Birkenhead Market, said: “We’ve had similar businesses here in the past and they’ve done very well.
“We might not be able to compete with your Tescos and Asdas for selling sugar but we are providing a place for new and niche businesses like this one.
“These innovative businesses are the future of markets.”
 Source: Wirral News.

Here is a link to Sarah`s website:  http://www.wiccantogether.com/profile/sarahmurphy

Thanks For Making This Possible! Kindly Bookmark and Share it.

Technorati Digg This Stumble Stumble Facebook Twitter

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I stumbled upon this page by accident. I have to be honest and say that I am Sarah's partner, Melanie. What she was subjected to in Crewe is disgusting and what the article failed to mention is that the attacks were aimed at Sarah and her business partner when they had their children with them. It also spilled out to her home with literature left at her home and verbal abuse shouted at her and the kids.

    We are supposed to live in enlightened times, but believe me, we don't.

    Bright Blessings
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel for answering on this post.
    Some people are really disturbing. I hope the kids were okay though. Good luck with your new venture, and appreciate you calling in:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris.

    No problem on the check in. I found this blog purely by accident, but now I know it's here I'll be checking it out regularly

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as we live in a world of duality there will always be supporters and antagonists for whatever we can imagine.There is only one solution for the so called victim : be strong... neglect those who are against you... keep your goal in front of you, believe in yourself and go for it ! At the end the antagonists will drop off....
    I remember that video and it hurted me so much to 'feel' what that poor man had experienced... it's to get teary eyes....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to see the video you are talking about, but think I am being a little stupid as I can't find it. Can you post a link to it for me please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel,
    The video is the one featured here on this page.
    `The Last Witch Trial`.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi my name is sarah murphy i'm the person featured in the article, my children where upset at the time, they are my biggest fans (lol). it was very unpleasant at the time, for me, my kids and my business partners. But hopefully those things are behind us, my partner (mel) is encouraging me to write a book, but i'll see how that goes.. hope this message finds you all well
    Blessings
    sarah x

    ReplyDelete